[Sunhelp] change nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf online

Jarrett Carver solarboyz1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 27 12:31:08 CDT 2000

Here is the situation. We have recently jumpstarted our systems to Solaris
7. After they are jumpstarted we rdist a new nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf.
The problem is that normal services (ping, telnet, etc..) don't pick up the
change to the nsswitch.conf, and don't resolve the hostname via DNS. I am
able to do a manual nslookup of hostnames and it works. I usually end up
rebooting and hostnames resolve fine when the system comes back up.
However, I would like to avoid rebooting, does anyone know what process need
to be HUP or stopped and started to re-read the nsswitch.conf.

Any clues are appreciated. Thanks.

Jarrett Carver           http://www.geocities.com/solarboyz1
solarboyz1 at hotmail.com   Unix/NT Systems Administrator