[Sunhelp] free newsgroup server software?

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Mon Jun 26 19:58:17 CDT 2000

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Jeremiah Bascue wrote:

| Hi Everyone
| Anyone care to share any preferences on newsgroup server software of the
| free variety?
| I'm running a Sparc E250 with Solaris 2.6, if it matters.
| Any help would be appreciated.

Well, according to what kind of server you're going to run, there's some
choices.

If you're going to run a full-fledged site, taking in feeds and feeding
peers, then I recommend looking at:

	Diablo - http://www.openusenet.org/diablo/

	INN - http:///www.isc.org

I'd try Diablo first before INN.

For small sites, there's LeafNode. You can find this by searching for it
on Freshmeat.

If you're wanting to be a big site... lots of users with long-time article
retention, I recommend the bCandid Typhoon server (commercial).

/dale