[Sunhelp] Disabling passwd aging

Magnus Abrante magnus.abrante at nocke.Sweden.Sun.COM
Sat Jun 24 10:01:18 CDT 2000

It does, another way to set the password aging for users is to edit
the /etc/shadow file if you want to set it for *many* users at the
same time..

However i dont think the "PASSLENGHT" field in /etc/default/passwd
can be set to something less than 6, or more like; you can set it to
something less than 6, but i dont think it will have much effect.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but as far as i remember.

Depending on if you are running NIS+/NIS/kerberos or local passwords
this might differ, for example i dont know how much NIS+ cares about
what kind of password you choose.

>From the manpage:
        o  Each password must contain  at  least  two  alphabetic
           characters and at least one numeric or special charac-
           ter. In this case, "alphabetic" refers to all upper or
           lower case letters.

        o  Each password must differ from the user's  login  name
           and  any reverse or circular shift of that login name.
           For comparison purposes, an upper case letter and  its
           corresponding lower case letter are equivalent.

        o  New passwords must differ from the  old  by  at  least
           three  characters.  For  comparison purposes, an upper
           case letter and its corresponding  lower  case  letter
           are equivalent.

These parameters are specified in PAM, so if you want to change
them im afraid that you have to write your own PAM module

I *think* this is for some security standard issue.. However i'm not
to sure about that.

Btw, i think that root can set any password for any user..

> doesn't the /etc/default/passwd file contain aging settings as well as
> minimum characters for passwords?
>
> alan
>
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Kyle Freestone wrote:
>
> > Paul,
> > I don't know how many people you're trying to do this for, but
> > admintool allows you to set password aging to 'none' - very easily.
> > I'm sure there's more complicated ways to do this, but for individual
> > users 'admintool' is pretty straight forward, quick and easy.
> > good luck!
> > Kyle
> >
> > > From: "Paul Khoury" <pkhoury3 at loop.com>
> > > To: "rescue at sunhelp.org" <rescue at sunhelp.org>, "sunhelp at sunhelp.org"
> > <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
> > > Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:50:45 -0700
> > >
> > > How would I disable passwd aging, or basically allow
> > > a user to use whatever they want for a passwd so long
> > > as it's 5+ chars?  I looked at man pages for pmconv, passwd, etc,
> > > but didn't find what I was looking for.
> > >
> > > Also, please reply to me, pkhoury3 at loop.com - I'm not subscribed
> > > on this address (subscribed under pkhoury3 at earthlink.net).
> > >
> > > Thanks,

> *Alan Rubin*
> Sun/Unix/Networking/ISP/Web Writing
> Email:rubin at ezy.net

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is not the opinion of my company, its just my own */