[Sunhelp] Network problems - Critical

Zander, Mark Mark.Zander at mezzia.com
Fri Jun 23 11:06:47 CDT 2000

I'm pretty new to administering Unix boxes, so please bear with me.

We are seeing some strange network related things and I'm not sure how to
track down the problem.

We use Veritas Backup Exec running on an NT box to do our backups.  Backup
Exec has a Unix agent which we have running on all of our Solaris systems
(currently 5 systems).  One Solaris box occasionally causes an error message
which says that the Solaris system is either denying the connection from
Backup Exec or the system is out of ports.  When I look through all the logs
I find nothing.  When I look at the ports with netstat I see the same
configuration I see on all of the other Solaris boxes.  This is a problem,
but not yet critical.

Last night we had a Critical problem.  On the same Solaris system we have
WebLogic Server running.  WLS keeps 5 connections open to our Oracle system
(also Solaris) to handle initial logins, etc.  In our development
environment, this has been up for months without any problem.  We just
brought it up in the production environment last night (the Solaris system
in question) and sometime during the night, the connections broke.  The
message in the WLS log was that there was a broken pipe.

Please let me know where to look at what to look at to track this problem
down.

Thanks!!

-----
Mark Zander     ===> Mark.Zander at mezzia.com