[Sunhelp] Problem with E220 "redundant" power supplies

Tony Alberti talberti at mediaone.net
Wed Jun 21 20:57:45 CDT 2000

How many disks were in the 220?

I have had a similar situation on an E250.
I asked one of the Sun FE's here in Chicago
to explain this.  I was told that the dual power
supplies in a 250 aren't truely redundant when
the machine is loaded. If you have two power
supplies and only 1 internal disk, there is enough
power in one power supply to handle the load,
so the redundancy works.   However when you
have all 6 HDs in a 250, that second power supply
uses about 75% of its output to drive the disk
backplane.   It is no longer redundant.
If the machine had truely redundant power
supplies, one could handle the load of the
system AND all 6 disks, so all you would
need for operation was 1, and the second
for redundancy.   Try to order an E250
from Sun configured for 6 internal disks
and 1 powersupply.  They will NOT
sell you that configuration.  If you
want 2 internal disks and 1 power supply,
they will sell that to you (assuming the mainboard
had the same loaded config of 2 400mHz CPUS and
2 gig memory in both configurations).
I suspect something similar probably occured in your 220.
Although there are less internal disks in a 220, perhaps the
power supplies are less as well.

Tony