[Sunhelp] Cable Modems

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Fri Jun 16 10:16:37 CDT 2000

> there is no problem with doing that... however you can affect your
> bandwidth, since they will
> both be using the same downstream channel, and problably the same
upstream
> as well
>
> -Sean

It would probably be better (cheaper) to set one computer with two
ethernet connections, one to the cable 'modem' and another to an
ethernet network. That computer could then provide internet to the rest
of the network using something like the NAT option in ip_filters.

Right now I'm doing that with a dial-up connection (just with a serial
port instead of a second ethernet card) and it works pretty well.

Of course some cable companies just don't get it and make home networks
a violation of your service agreement.

--
David Rouse
Network Manager