[Sunhelp] Keyboard Sound

David Eisner cradle at Glue.umd.edu
Thu Jun 15 09:34:00 CDT 2000

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Patrick Tetzlaff wrote:

> Hi!
> 1. Im wondering if it is possible to disable the annoying beeps coming
> out from the keyboard(Type 6)? (when using tab w/ bash etc..)

That bugs me too.  I put an 'xset b 0' in my X initialization to
turn the beeping off.

If you're not in X, you can configure readline to turn off audio beeping.
Put 'set bell-style none' or 'set bell-style visible' in your .inputrc.
This will at least fix the problem in bash.

-David

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle at eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |