[Sunhelp] Re: mail

Gary Gendel x3145 ggendel at sarnoff.com
Thu Jun 15 07:49:44 CDT 2000

Indeed there is such a beast in some POP servers, but I only know of one for
Qmail, not sendmail.  In that client, you can send a broadcast message that
gets sent to the mail user if they are logged on.  If they aren't it sends the
message at the time they log on.  The nice thing about this is the broadcasts
won't fill the disk replicating the message for all users.

BTW, I'm using Qmail and it is easy to set up and maintain, plus it is faster
and more secure than sendmail.  In addition, it allows virtual users (ones
that don't have a Unix login) when using the POP server.  A few wrinkles:

(1) To use advanced spam control features, you have to replace your smnpd
daemon, but I had no problem setting that up as well.

(2) To use Qmail compatible POP servers, you need to use the MailDir format,
rather than the mbox format used by sendmail.  Their format is more secure,
but it will break programs that don't understand it.  This isn't a problem if
all your clients use POP.

(3) Sendmail specific things like .forward and vacation won't work.  Their is
mechanisms for doing these things the Qmail way, plus there is a script to
allow .forward files to work.

sunhelp.org may use Qmail, since the mailing list manager seems to be
ezmlm-idx, which only runs on Qmail.  Check out http://www.qmail.org/ for more
information, if you're interested.