[Sunhelp] [Summary] SPARCstation 1+ serial/terminal problem and whats this?

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 22 05:24:29 CST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:14:58 -0500 (EST), Parris B. Wood wrote:

The machine appears to be almost maxed out with one bank
>completely filled with original Sun memory and the next four simms filled
>with Clearpoint memory. I'd love to pull the chips to find out their size
>but they are in the slots good.

You might try pulling all but the Sun memory out - I've noticed problems with some kinds
of RAM other than Sun or 100% compatible.

Make sure they're 9 chip SIMMs, I don't think 3 chip "simulated" parity will work.

>	The SS1+ has the places for drives, one is taken by the flopp, the
>next spot is open but missing the mounting sled/bracket and the third has
>a bracket and this wierd little board with what looks like a resistor. All
>I can tell is when powered on that little resistor throws off alot of
>heat, basicly untouchable. What is it? If I put a drive in the machine can
>I remove this little board? Sorry, just that kind of heat worries me.

I couldn't blame you - my SPARCs and especially Sun 3/75 get hot
enough as it is!

Paul