[Sunhelp] [Summary] SPARCstation 1+ serial/terminal problem and whats this?

Parris B. Wood pwood at wilma.widomaker.com
Thu Jan 13 19:45:49 CST 2000

Hello,

>ECL mono framebuffer.  Monitors for these are basically free if you can
>find them, and the video quality isn't too bad for mono.

	Excellent, I felt kind of guilty that I had left out a crucial
piece of information I figured I would toss the number out incase it made
any difference.

>The LEDs on the type-4 and type-5 are the same (caps lock, num lock,
>scroll lock and compose).  Which ones light?

	They all light up at once and only once for L1+N, there is a beep
but that happens for both +N and +D.

>Each bank is 4 SIMMs, it sounds like you have 12 slots filled.

	Correct! Four more SIMMs and the box is maxed out.
>Load board.  Used in machines without drives and sbus cards, usually.  It
>is designed to put enough load on the powersupply to make it work.  A hard
>drive will be a perfect replacement.

	Excellent news, I will certainly swap it out with a drive
tomarrow.

>The NVRAM will not lose its contents if removed, the battery is inside the
>chip package.  As long as you replace it in the correct orientation there
>should be no problem.

	Phew. Stupid question but it is the smaller socketed chip with the
Yellow sticker on it? The other one is a longer socketed chip that looks
like the boot prom.

>With all this said, you may have a defective board.  Given what you've
>said, I'd say this is more likely than not.  By all means keep
>experimenting but keep in mind that fully functional machines of this
>class are very affordable now (free or close to it).

	I'm getting the sinking feeling this might be true, thought I'm
not two upset either. I figure it was worth part of the $35 I gave the guy
to save it from being hauled out in the dump. If does turn out to be bad
I'd be more than happy to let folks have the parts. Especialy the ram if I
can figure out how to get the SIMMs out. Thanks again for the suggestions.

-
Parris Wood
 pwood at wilma.widomaker.com.