[Sunhelp] Keyboard/Mouse protocols, etc.

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun Jan 9 17:43:37 CST 2000

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Len French Jr/ wrote:

> I'm developing a new keyboard/mouse combination device. I want to
> include Sun workstation compatibility in the device, but I haven't been
> able to get a hold of any documents pertaining to the whole protocol.
> I've been able to implement USB and PS/2, and Sun is all the remains.
> Heck, I don't even know what the type of connection and cabling is
> called!

The connector is an 8-pin mini-DIN, the protocol is straightforward EIA422
async serial.  Both keyboard and mouse signals are carried over a single
cable.  Most keyboards and mice run at 1200 baud but some mice run at
4800.  +5V is also provided by the host to power the keyboard and mouse.
The keyboard is a transmit/receive device, the mouse is transmit only.

> Specifics:
>     I need to know the protocols used to allow keyboards and mice to
> communicate with Sun workstations. I need to know how to write software
> drivers on Sun workstations. I need technical diagrams/documents on the
> voltages, currents, pins, etc.

Do a search on doubleX.  This is a project that allows you to hook
additional Sun keyboards and mice through regular serial ports, and
contains useful information (including a couple schematics) on interfacing
the hardware.

-James