[Sunhelp] SPARCstation 1+ serial/terminal problem and whats this?

Parris B. Wood pwood at wilma.widomaker.com
Sat Jan 8 20:38:18 CST 2000

Hello,

	I recently saved a sparc 1+ and two RS/6ks from heading off with a
pile of x86 junk. Anyway it doesn't seem to have a framebuffer of any
sorts, infact the only card in the box has a DB9 female connector on it.
The only number that appear on it are:

	4290 near the DB9 connector. The card is fully of varying size
motorola chips, with a large LSI Logic chip near the end (near to the
black handle on the card). The only other writing on it is this:

	CTS KNIGHTS
	1156-01
	200.0 MHZ
	8948-S307

	Its on this wierd silver "chip" between two thin motorola chips
near a jumper reading JMP4 if that means anything to anyone. I want to say
its a serial card but...

	With that in mind I have read that a sun will send output to
Serial A if there is no framebuffer, mouse and keyboard pluged in so to be
safe I yanked the "mystery card" hooked a null modem cable to the back of
serial A into a pc and booted the sparc up.

	The problem is nothing pops up, using hyperterminal, Tera Term,
windows terminal or even a Wyse 50. I've tried varying terminal settings,
no flow control, flow control. Even parity, no parity. Nothing even when
having tera term send a break.

	Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've also got an active scsi
terminator on the back and an ethernet loopback on the aui port incase
it is trying to netboot. Thanks for any help.

	Since I've usualy posted to the ultrix/digital unix lists I'll
post a summary for the archive unless there are objections. Thanks again
for your time.

-
Parris Wood
 pwood at wilma.widomaker.com.