[Sunhelp] New years goodies...

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sat Jan 1 00:55:49 CST 2000

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Jeff wrote:

> Hey, I just got 3 IPC's, and the mother of freebies, a 630MP!  My
> questions are...  What kind of ram does this beast (630MP) use (I think
> 30 pin like the IPC)?  Is it like the SS10 and 20's, where you have to

30 pin parity.  Note that 80ns minimum is required like the SS2, the IPC
only required 100ns.  Takes 4MB or 16MB SIMMs in 2 banks of 16 (min config
is 64MB).

> get special cpu's to run 4?  What's the best module I can use in it?

Takes mbus modules like the SS10/SS20.  With the right boot PROMs you can
even run Ross Hypersparc modules, otherwise SM61's are the highest that
were cleared.  You can run quad 51's but only with the special rare SS600
SM52X modules.

> Now on to the IPC...  How does one boot off a cdrom?  The prom is
> ancient, and the oldest I've used is on the SS2, which is a lot
> different.  I tired all the "boot sd(x,x,x)" cobo's relating to ID 6,
> but to no avail.  I got really close once, and it said to enter the

With a 1.x PROM, type "boot sd(0,6,2)" if your CDROM is on SCSI ID 6.
Partition #2 is the sun4c boot partition.

> filename because it appears to not be bootable, which isn't true..  I
> don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but IPC's SUCK!  They are slow,

They weren't too bad for 1991.  If it feels really really slow then you
probably don't have enough RAM.

> and I may give one to a friend then see if any of you wants one, I'll
> probably keep one for myself just to tamper on.  The one I'd be getting
> rid of appears to be dead, no ram, but it has a CG3 and a 200 meg or so
> hard drive.. So bsically it's a CG3 with hard drive.  Although, I
> haven't swapped out the frame buffer to see if that's the problem, so I
> guess I'll try that tomorrow.  Oh yeah, what's the command to set the
> prom so it doesn't look for a keyboard, one of my machines is headless
> and won't boot without a keyboard.

Without a keyboard they should all go to ttya unless some really screwy
settings have been made.  Try "set-defaults" to clear them to a sane
state.

The 4/630 will be much faster no matter what CPU module is present.  Put
your efforts into getting it up and running.

-James