[Sunhelp] Sparc question

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Feb 28 12:23:38 CST 2000

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Chris Ihlenfeld wrote:

> I have been running with intel solaris for a while.
> I just bought my first sparc. I got a sparc 20 with quad hypersparc 150's and 2
> 9g drives.
> Its a sweet toy.

That is indeed a nice machine.  Hope you got a good deal, those HyperSparc
CPU's are expensive.

> Anyway, I was curious what some of the ports in the back were, specifically....
> They are labeled.....
> //
> <->
>
> What are those for.

The two parallel lines are (ta da!) a parallel port.  The other label
represents an ethernet port, you can plug a breakout cable into there to
get an AUI connector.

> Also, is there a way to hook a pc printer to a sparc..parallel printer?

You'll need a cable to go from the funky SS20 parallel connector to a C36.
These are usually fairly expensive ($50+) but Pi Manufacturing has the
best deal I've seen ($25.80).  Check out www.pimfg.com, you want p/n
530-1857.  The same cable is used for the Sparc 10 and 20.

-James