[Sunhelp] help on ident server..

Srikanta Nayak srikanta.nayak at cablecom.ch
Thu Feb 17 08:09:11 CST 2000

--------------CEB9D8CF6A4AAFB294BE1151

Hello Friends!

I would be thankful if any body can gudie me to configure the ident 1.7 server
on solaris 2.6. I have some doubts from installation procedure documents which
is leading me fails on the test procedure ...

This is the step ( from installation docs) where I have doubts :

Edit the file /etc/inetd.conf to contain a line (replace "sys" with a user
with enough rights to READ the kernel memory. Under SunOS 4.*, user "sys" is a
member of the "kmem" group and is a good choice. If you have no "kmem" or
"sys" user, then I suggest you create one and assign read rights for the group
"kmem" to the /vmunix and /dev/kmem and /dev/mem "files" - you might also have
to modify the group id of other programs that read the kernel, like "netstat",
"ps" and more):

1. Normally in Solaris 2.x : sys is a user under sys group only. There is no
group such as kmem. Does it require to create any more user & any  group like
kmem?  Tried with root & sys user  to invoke  in.identd  from inetd.conf, but
it failed the test procedure .

Looking forward to ur reply at the earlist.

Regards.

Mr.Shrikant.

--------------CEB9D8CF6A4AAFB294BE1151

Hello Friends!
1.7 server on solaris 2.6. I have some doubts from installation procedure
documents which is leading me fails on the test procedure ...
(replace "sys" with a user with enough rights to READ the kernel memory.
Under SunOS 4.*, user "sys" is a member of the "kmem" group and is a good
choice. If you have no "kmem" or "sys" user, then I suggest you create
one and assign read rights for the group "kmem" to the /vmunix and /dev/kmem
and /dev/mem "files" - you might also have to modify the group id of other
programs that read the kernel, like "netstat", "ps" and more):</font>