[Sunhelp] inode number..

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Fri Feb 11 19:01:17 CST 2000

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, William. Ng wrote:

| All
| Is there any way to increase inode number for one partition since my
| application will need to create a lot of small files, so I need some
| ways to increase the inode number?
| And also what is the maximum inode number that one partition can have?

There's no way to increase the inode density on a created UFS fs without
newfs'ing it with the desired density... in other words, it's not some
parameter that can be changed with "tunefs" and in a non-destructable
manner.

If you need to increase inode density, then I suggest backing the data on
that partition off to tape or another partition that has space, then
newfs'ing with the new density, then moving the data back into place.

I think that the max bytes per inode is 16k (lowest inode denisty) and the
lowest is 1k (each inode consumes about 512bytes of space)

/dale