[Sunhelp] Adding a New drive to a Sparc 4??

Erik Trimble trims at netdemons.com
Fri Feb 11 00:54:18 CST 2000

Hi folks.

I just got an old sparc 4, and needed to install a drive for it.

I managed to get a Seagate ST32550WC  (SCSI-2, SCA, 7200RPM) drive, and
installed it.

However, when I try to install an OS (either OpenBSD, or Solaris 7), I
get what looks like SCSI timeouts.  Under OpenBSD, the error is:

sd0: sd0(esp0:3:0): esp0: timed out [ecb 0xf898f88c (flags 0x1, dleft 0,
stat 0)], <state 2, nexus 0xf898f88c, phase(l 12, c 100, p 3 ), resid 0,
msg(q 0,o 0) >

And the OS shuts off access to that drive, and can't install to it. :-(

I don't have any jumpers set on the drive, and it reports normally under
a "probe-scsi" at the PROM level (ie,  it's identified as "Target 3 Unit
0  Disk Seagate ST32550W SUN2.1G041600000000" )

I was under the assumption that this should be terminated by the Sparc
itself, as the there are no termination settings on SCA drives.

Can someone give me a hint?  Is the drive bad (it's just bought from a
reseller, but it could be bad...)?  Am I doing something wrong?  Is this
drive incompatible with a Sparc 4?

Any help is definately appreciated.

-Erik
trims at netdemons.com