[Sunhelp] Which SPARCstation is better?

Frank Sommers fsommers at nowcom.com
Thu Feb 10 12:44:56 CST 2000

It depends on what your typical use of the machine will be. As an
all-around work-horse, I think both are a bit slow nowadays, compared to
newer machines. Well, I had a 2-CPU Sparc 20 (75Mhz) as my primary work
machine, which I just loved. And, in fact, I was going to buy a used Sparc
for my home. But then I saw the deals Sun was offering on the Ultra 5s on
Ebay. For $2k (!), you get a brand new Ultra 5 AND a 19 inch monitor AND
they pay for shipping. Well, I just got mine, it's a great machine, and
you just can't beat that price. I'm planning to spend maybe another $1,500
on it in the near future to upgrade to a SCSI disk system and to add more
RAM (it came with 64MB). I figured I would have spent about that much to
get and fix up a second-hand Sparc 20 (not the 10, though), i.e., with
extra VRAM to enable the SX buffer, get some better disks in it, etc. So I
would say going for the Ultras (at this price) might be a better choice.
But what do you think?