[Sunhelp] RS232 to tcp/ip

Guy Wadsworth guyw at lanart.com
Mon Feb 7 11:42:06 CST 2000

"Fuerst, Robert C. (Chris)" <robert.fuerst at sylvania.com> wrote:

>	Does anyone know a vendor that has RS232 to LAN tcp/ip transceivers?

>	Thanks,
>	1st

I am not aware of one at the moment.  It would have to be more than
just a simple transceiver since you would be talking two very
different protocols.  You would probably need something more like
a bridge which would provide buffering of packets and translation in
each direction.  If all you want to do is extend the range of RS232,
we have a media converter which when used in pairs will extend RS232
signaling up to 2,000 meters using fiber.  Check out our web
page at http://www.transition.com for more details.

Guy Wadsworth
(Yes, I work for Transition Networks)