[Sunhelp] DNS Cause Solaris to lock

ds ds at primenet.com
Tue Feb 29 21:52:31 CST 2000

We have our DNS installed on two older AIX PowerPC Workstations.  We
also have two E3500's that are running Netview 6000 and Solaris 2.6.
About once or twice a week the AIX machines lock up.  When they do, our
Solaris machines IP go belly up.  We can't even ping a IP address.  We
have 3 Ultra 5's running both Solaris 2.6 and 7 and they go belly up
also.  They don't lock up, but when you try and ping, telnet or ftp to a
IP address (not a DNS name), they just sit there.  The minute the AIX
machine is rebooted and back up, the Solaris machines come back to us.

What causes us to loose ICMP?  DNS should have nothing to do with us
pinging a direct IP address, only a DNS entry... why does it stall like
this?

Any ideas would be helpful, we use these E3500 to manage our network
with approx. 12,500 devices on it and it really hurts when we loose the
servers.

BTW - We have two new Suns that will replace the AIX machines... but we
are in the middle of a project that does not allow us to take the time
to fix the problem.  Hopefully over the next two or three weeks we can
get them replaced.

Thanks.

Email:	ds at primenet.com
Web:	http://radsl-sullinger.phx.primenet.com/
"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD"