[Sunhelp] RAID and other Disk questions

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Tue Aug 29 09:01:36 CDT 2000

Magnus Abrante wrote:

> To run RAID 5? I would recommend you to do get a piece of hardware
> that can take care of it, software RAID 5 is quite bad in terms of
> performance.
>
> So software RAID 5 is mainly an option if you dont need very good
> performance.

Agree.
Even on our SS1000E with dual 85MHz SuperSparc-IIs it's sluggish enough
on a SSA112 with Seagate ST31200WC's. We use the filesystem for
homedirectories, something we consider low-bandwidth for our needs.

For "higher" bandwidth, we are using RAID-0 (if I remember correct) on
multiple diff trays.

	/Bjorn