[Sunhelp] Backup software Sugestions

Robert.Cross at scottish-newcastle.co.uk Robert.Cross at scottish-newcastle.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 04:24:37 CDT 2000

--Boundary_(ID_zYkbN/WPxDo2fwWah2Exbg)

Karl Rossing wrote:

>I've tried Solstice Backup(Legato networker) it seems a little bit
>hokey. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for Backup software?

I'm surpised that you found Networker 'hokey', I used it in my previous job
and it seemed okay. All right, the general opinion was that while it was a
breeze
to setup, it could definitely do with some usablility enhancements in the
client side. However, it was good if you had a variety of backup devices
splattered
around.

On the other hand, if you've just got one central server, preferably with a
robotic tape
library, have you had a look at the Tivoli Storage Manager product?
URL is http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/storage_mgr/

It doesn't support the multiple-tape-drives-around-the-enterprise system that
Networker
does. Nevertheless, I've found it very easy to setup and pretty easy to control
and monitor.
Third party support's pretty good too, (various training agencies and mailing
lists available).
Trouble is like all IBM products (??) to get the best out of it you probably
need to add some of
the optional modules, (like the Disaster Recovery Manager).

If you do try this, two recommendations:
1. Get training - it's a complex product and training makes it so much easier
in the long run,
especially if there's a lot of clients.
2. Get an IBM consultant to do the initial install - and make sure that they
tune it. It's not tricky
to install, but a knowledable consultant can make the difference between
running and running well.

If there's anything else I can help with, contact me directly.

Regards

Bob Cross.

This message is confidential.  It may also be privileged or
protected by other legal rules.  It does not constitute an
offer or acceptance of an offer, nor shall it form any part
of a legally binding contract.  If you have received this
communication in error, please let us know by reply then
destroy it.  You should not use, print, copy the message or
disclose its contents to anyone.

E-mail is subject to possible data corruption, is not
secure, and its content does not necessarily represent the
opinion of this Company.  No representation or warranty is
made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information
and no liability can be accepted for any loss arising from
its use.

This e-mail and any attachments are not guaranteed to be
free from so-called computer viruses and it is recommended
that you check for such viruses before down-loading it to
your computer equipment.  This Company has no control over
other websites to which there may be hypertext links and no
liability can be accepted in relation to those sites.

Scottish & Newcastle plc
Registered in Scotland, Registered Number 16288
Registered Office: 50 East Fettes Avenue, Edinburgh, EH4 1RR