[Sunhelp] Sun Sparc 2

patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG
Fri Aug 25 14:03:32 CDT 2000

On 25-Aug-00 at 11:01, Gregory Leblanc (GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu) wrote:
> > Note that the SS2 is -not- an officially supported platform for
> > Java.  (It works; but is painfully slow.)  Also, you probably want
> > to avoid heavy graphics applications and apps that use large amounts
> > of memory.  The SS2 is limited to 64Mb on-board; with the possibility
> > of adding another 64Mb on the S-bus.  (It takes up two S-bus slots
> > and runs at the slower S-bus speed.)
>
> Quick note, the 64MB SBUS add on doesn't take up 2 sbus slots.  The 2 cards
> go together in 1 SBUS slot, one on top of another.

Oops, you're quite right - It's been a couple of years since I actually
opened the SS2 and my memory's a bit fuzzy - I was confusing it with
a couple of other old two-slot boards.

If you want a real slot-consumer, dig up an old CG12 framebuffer.
Three slots wide -and- stacked two deep.

-Pat