[Sunhelp] Sun Sparc 2

patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG
Fri Aug 25 11:34:36 CDT 2000

On 25-Aug-00 at 01:05, Mike (tseng_mike at yahoo.com) wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can give me some information (here or url) on the
> performance of sun sparc 2. I know its an awfully old machine, but
> wonder what version of solaris will be runnable or run well on? heres is
> the full spec
>
> > 1 x Sparc 2  with 40mhz cpu, 32 megs of ram, CG3
> > framebuffer, 3  sbus slots, 1 gig Seagate Hawk disk, floppy. Type 4
> > keyboard, mouse and pad.

Solaris 7 was the last version to support the SS2 (and otheer sun4c
machines.)  2.5.1, 2.6, and 7 are probably all reasonable choices.
If you aren't tied to Solaris, there is also NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS,
and Linux.

Note that the SS2 is -not- an officially supported platform for
Java.  (It works; but is painfully slow.)  Also, you probably want
to avoid heavy graphics applications and apps that use large amounts
of memory.  The SS2 is limited to 64Mb on-board; with the possibility
of adding another 64Mb on the S-bus.  (It takes up two S-bus slots
and runs at the slower S-bus speed.)

You will probably want to add an external disk; and you might
want to see if you can find a reasonably priced CG6 framebuffer.

-Pat