[Sunhelp] Opinions...

Reagen Ward ward at zilla.nu
Wed Aug 23 11:13:35 CDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 04:45:45PM +0100, Will Mc Donald wrote:

> The problem starts with trying to mirror at least one of the partitions over
> the network, I've looked into DRBD but I don't think it's developed enough
> yet. A few searches on google threw up references to Coda, Fault Freedom II
> and a rambling thread on slashdot discussing something along these lines.

Either put a nice backend storage system, like a NetApp or a shared RAID array,
behind it, or regularly RSYNC it.

> So, basically what I'd really like to know is does anyone here have any
> experiences/horror stories/advice to offer?

Oh, lots.  I tend to have a multi-tier structure, where customers access an
external FTP server, and internal users access an internal server, and there is
no possibility of cross access.  I use rsync to do the incoming/outgoing mirror,
from a set of internal servers (manual fail-over) to a number of external
servers around the world.

Reagen