[Sunhelp] Solstice Backup DBU 5.1.1 and Solaris 8

Tom Lieuallen toml at engr.orst.edu
Tue Aug 22 12:11:53 CDT 2000

We recently upgraded a sparc 5 to Solaris 8.  It had been running
an old copy of data backup utility 4.2.5 from the solaris 2.6
days.  However, I had this copy of 5.1.1 that came with solaris 7.

I installed DBU 5.1.1 and installed the temporary enabler.  However,
it doesn't run quite right.  In nsrwatch or nwadmin, it doesn't
act like it can talk to the server.  It doesn't complain, however, it
doesn't say how long the server has been up, etc. etc.

And, when I start a backup, I get no error messages, but nothing is
backed up.  save is running, but the tape never moves and just
nothing happens otherwise.

I have installed the latest 5.1.1 patch from sunsolve.  No difference.

Is anyone running DBU 5.1.1 on solaris 8?  Does anyone have any ideas?

It's important to backup this machine, but I don't think it is worth
the cost of a new copy of Legato or Solstice Backup.  It looks like DBU
has been discontinued.  Any other ideas other than ufsdump or tar?  It
didn't look like amanda was very good for a machine with multiple disks
and partitions.

thank you

Tom Lieuallen
Oregon State University