[Sunhelp] Re:file system space problem

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Fri Aug 18 15:48:45 CDT 2000

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 11:54:02AM -0500, balakrishnan neelakandan wrote:

| I am facing peculiar problem in solaris 2.7 version.when i am trying to
| resore a back from tape to file system,it is giving error as "tar:write
| error on disk" and in console i am getting message like "/home file system
| full".but whe i am seeing the file system by typing the command "df -k" it
| is only 40% used.

Do you have a quota?  (probably not.)

Normally /home is an automount map, with the actual data somewhere
else, often under /export.  Are *any* filesystems full when you do a
`df -k' ?  (my guess is `yes'.)

Also keep in mind that if you've tarred up something like /usr, tar
will insist on extracting it to /usr.  (gnu tar doesn't have this
problem.)

So if you're extracting something and you're in your home directory,
if it was tarred up with a leading / upon extraction it will put the
files in the place that they came from.  To avoid this, either 1)
don't use leading slashes when you tar things up or 2) use gnu tar.

   i.e. don't do this :   tar -cf /tmp/file.tar /usr
   instead do this    : cd / ; tar -cf /tmp/file.tar usr

| i don't know what could be the probelm.pls let me know the reason ans
| solution of this,this is very critical problem.
|
| expecting your reply as earliest as possible with solution.

You seem to be confusing sunhelp with Sun's technical support.  You
can hope that somebody on sunhelp will answer your question, but
that's it - the list is full of people who use Suns, just like you -
what it's not full of is people who work at Sun and their job is to
solve your problems.

In short, nobody here is getting paid for this.  We help because we're
nice guys.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com