[Sunhelp] SunPCi board and audio

patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG
Thu Aug 17 15:09:56 CDT 2000

On 17-Aug-00 at 11:15, Jonathan Eisch (jeisch at boku.net) wrote:
> Bill Bradford wrote:
> > This is a fresh install of win98, all updates (including DirectX 7.0a)
> > installed; fresh installs of WinAmp and Windows Media Player 7... I'd
> > think that WMP should be able to play the MP3s fine if nothing else..
>
> I'm thinking that there may be a sampeling rate conversion that is
> getting mixed up some place.  I don't know much about PCi boards, but
> I'm guessing they interface with the sound device on the 'sun' side?

Nope, the PCi board has it's own ES1869 audio chip with external connectors
for Microphone, Line In, and Line Out.

I somehow missed the original question.  From the quote above, I'm
guessing some sort of problem playing MP3 files.  I've had no problem
using WinAmp with headphones or my old cheap speakers.

(I am having some trouble with my new Yamaha USB speakers though - after
a few minutes of continuous MP3 or RealAudio I completely loose audio
output, even if I switch back to the ES1869.  I usually have to reboot
to get it back.)

Is there some reason that xmms (http://www.xmms.org/) on the SPARC
side isn't sufficient?

-Pat