[Sunhelp] SunPCi board and audio

Jonathan Eisch jeisch at boku.net
Thu Aug 17 13:01:03 CDT 2000

Bill Bradford wrote:
> This is a fresh install of win98, all updates (including DirectX 7.0a)
> installed; fresh installs of WinAmp and Windows Media Player 7... I'd
> think that WMP should be able to play the MP3s fine if nothing else..
>
> Bill

Ok, I've worked with PC's and Sun's.  I've worked with sound on pc's.  I
have never used an Ultra 5 or a PCi card.  I may or may not know what
I'm talking about.  That said:

I'm thinking that there may be a sampeling rate conversion that is
getting mixed up some place.  I don't know much about PCi boards, but
I'm guessing they interface with the sound device on the 'sun' side?
and I'd look into the specs for that, and see if it does something with
sampling rates that is different than a standard PC type.  I'm also
guessing that the .wav files are playing ok because Sun has worked that
conversion out ok, but that the converstion does not apply to the mp3.

-Jonathan