[Sunhelp] Helix GNOME on Solaris

patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG
Tue Aug 15 22:45:04 CDT 2000

On 15-Aug-00 at 19:49, Bill Bradford (mrbill at mrbill.net) wrote:
> bash-2.03# du -sk gnome
> 580227  gnome
>
> *ack* *pfft!*
> *cough*
>
> And, after running "strip *" in /opt/gnome/bin/:
>
> bash-2.03# du -sk .
> 314297  .
>
> That's STILL too darn big...

It wouldn't surprise me to find that it had been compiled with
debugging on and optimization off...

But even if it was an optimized build, compare against CDE:

patl at asimov.640> du -sk /usr/dt /usr/openwin
293112  /usr/dt
488985  /usr/openwin

Try going through the GNOME stuff and stripping out all of the
localizations for languages you aren't using.  Particularly the
asian language ones.  (Especially look for fonts with asian
language support.)  I would expect 'production' installation
packages to strip the localizations out into separate optional
packages.  I would also expect them to split out games.  So,
you would be left with something not a whole lot bigger than CDE;
but more functional and easier to configure.

-Pat