Kiddies...(Was Re: [Sunhelp] wow.)

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Mon Aug 14 13:57:05 CDT 2000

> On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 11:57:03AM -0400, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > Somebody should spend all
> > that time reverse engineering 4Dwm from SGI if they want something crisp and
> > clean,
>
> Crisp and clean?  4DWM is nothing but Motif with a few more pretty pictures..

Fair enough.  Not the best adjectives to describe it either, I imagine...
I'm not even sure if I'd include the pretty pictures though, as much as it
is a different (I won't say better) set of widgets which I find to be a
fairly clean "look".  Then again, from what I understand it's not an easy
environment to write for at times.

Speaking of Motif, since it's one of the few real adopted standards on the
GUI front as far as Unices go (aside from the basic X environment, and maybe
some of the Open Look stuff), I would hope that at least the GNOME folks
will build OpenMOTIF support into the window manager....

> > or the myriad OpenStep clone projects, or better yet something truly
> > new...
>
> I was hoping for good things for the Eazel people, but so far, I havent seen
> anything new and exciting.

Eazel?  Hmm, haven't heard of that one.  I've looked at the 3dwm site, but
it's still soooo much in infancy that it's not really interesting yet.
Who's the latest banner carrier for the NeXTStep/Openstep UI contingent?
It's too bad that it looks like Apple's going to opt for more Mac and less
the nonsense about animated shrinks).

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net