Kiddies...(Was Re: [Sunhelp] wow.)

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Mon Aug 14 10:57:03 CDT 2000

> NNNNNNNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not
> GNOME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
>

> Bill Bradford wrote:
> >
> > Big announcements from Sun @ Linuxworld Expo tomorrow - looks like they're
> > going to replace CDE as the standard desktop UI on Solaris with
> > GNOME... (see the news article on sunhelp.org...)
> >
> > Wow.  What a thing to wake up to.
> >
> > Bill

Heh.  My sentiments exactly...

<RANT!>

Not that I have anything against GNOME/GTK, but CDE & Motif are awful nice,
once you get used to them.  I, for one, have never understood one's desire
to make one's Unix desktop look like some mundane PeeCee running some
Micro$haft-style UI.  That was the first big detractor for me on StarOffice,
at first glance.  Something that emulates the old, clean, NeXTStep/Openstep
style isn't bad, but to emulate a M$ look-and-feel seems akin to pure evil
:)

At least there seems to be a touch of the Openstep type stuff there...But
anybody's window manager project that mentions Windows 98 as much as GNOME's
UI pages do is an immediate turnoff in my book.  Somebody should spend all
that time reverse engineering 4Dwm from SGI if they want something crisp and
clean, or the myriad OpenStep clone projects, or better yet something truly
new...

And the Slashdot confusion on the issue just goes to show the Linsux kiddee
mindset out there at times that leads to such spawns of evil...

</RANT!>

Whew, now that that's off my chest, a disclaimer before I get flambe'd off
the list :)

- No open-source programmers were injured in the making of this rant (I
promise!)
- The author started using Linux waaaaay back at 0.99pl1, and made his first
set of distribution diskettes on the floppy drive in an SS10...
- I use several applications using GTK/glib day-in and day-out
- I've been using CDE since DEC OSF/1 2.0 (I *believe* one of the first
commercial implementations of CDE...)
- I've used OpenWindows, 4Dwm, CDE, Vue, Windowmaker, FVWM, twm, DECwindows,
VMS DECwindows, AIXwindows, Afterstep, etc...
- I use Windows 98 & NT everyday as well (unfortunately...please take pity
on this poor soul...)

All that said, given the recent announcments of OpenMOTIF (which hopefully
has an OpenCDE announcement around the corner...), does anybody see this as
a step backwards?  Especiallly since in many ways Sun's CDE has been the
most progressive out of all the manufacturers...

Seriously confused at times, and often deranged from mixing too many
operating systems at a time...

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net