[Sunhelp] Re: backup on sunos4.1.3

Steffen Grunewald steffen at gfz-potsdam.de
Tue Aug 8 02:22:45 CDT 2000

On Mon 2000-08-07 (18:39), Dennis L. Lund wrote:
> I thought Sun was not providing Y2K patches for SunOS4.1.3.  The last I remember
> was that SunOS 4.1.4 was the oldest version that Sun was going to maintain.

Slightly wrong: there are at least y2k patches for 4.1.3_U1, but not for
4.1.3 (IIRC).
4.1.3U1 had a nasty memory subsystem bug (somehow related to network, didn't
manage to find out the exact reason: packets on the network caused the
machine to die silently, sometimes soon, sometimes later, sometimes a
shutdown wouldn't complete). Since I upgraded to 4.1.4, those probs seem
to have gone.

Steffen, who still has 4.1.4 on his working group's print server and enjoys
it :-)
--
Steffen Grunewald * GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam * Projektbereich 2.2
Telegrafenberg E3 * D-14473 Potsdam * Germany / Duitsland / Allemagne