[Sunhelp] booting ss10 from external CD-ROM

Nicholas Dronen ndronen at frii.com
Mon Aug 7 22:36:45 CDT 2000

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 10:26:38PM -0400, Willem Ave wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have an SS10 here that came with Solaris 2.5.1 installed
> >(iirc) but I don't know the root password.  Since I'd like
> >to use Solaris 8 anyway (it has ample RAM for it), I'm
> >trying to install instead of trying to get the root password
> >back.  It has OBP version 2.25.
> >
> >When I boot cdrom I get the following output:
> >
> >Boot device: /iommus/sbus/espdma at f,40000/esp at f,800000/sd at 6,0:d
>                                                           ^^^^^^^
> you might want to try that exact line (type the whole long
> device string) exceptuse sd at 6,0:a, just a suggestion but you
> might wanna try it.

I've tried it with sd at 6,0:[a-g], unfortunately.

I've plugged the CD-ROM drive into my Classic and it booted
from it with no problem at all.  Not to mention that the SS10
does boot from disk.  I might just have to put the disk from
the SS10 into the Classic and install it there.  If anyone
knows what the problem is, however, I'd be pleased to hear.

Regards,

Nick Dronen