[Sunhelp] Send break from terminal servers

Van Niekerk, Ronelle ronelle.vanniekerk at csfb.com
Tue Nov 30 10:13:17 CST 1999

Hi there,

We have a few MicroAnnex XL terminal servers that we use to connect to our
servers on ttya as console. We have discovered in the last week that if
these terminal servers lose power they send a break to the console which
causes the servers to go into bootprom mode, which as you know makes them
invisible on the network. When the terminal servers are powered up again, we
have to go into each machine and type go to get to the login prompt. This
will cause a problem on our production network especially if the terminal
servers cannot be brought online again in a reasonable time. We would then
have to go to each machine and plug in a terminal to type in the go command.

The servers are running Solaris 2.6. I would like to know if there is any
way to stop the machines from going into bootprom mode when a break is sent
to them. I have investigated and rewiring the cables is not an option. I
found something that mentioned using the /usr/sbin/eeprom
ttya-rts-dtr-off=TRUE command but am not sure if that would do the trick. I
have also tried looking into stopping the terminal servers from sending the
break, but have found nothing. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks