[Sunhelp] 64-bit Solaris compiler

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Sun Nov 28 01:25:06 CST 1999

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Bryan Fullerton wrote:

> Hrm.  Now the real question - will I see noticable improvements if I do this?
> I'm mostly running web stuff - Apache, java, php, some database stuff with
> PostgreSQL - very little C code actually written here.

PHP may see some improvement.  I suspect that most of the rest of what you
run is largely I/O bound.

> The reason I started looking into this is because lsof complained about
> not having a 64-bit compiler, which isn't really enough motivation for me
> to start buying software.  ;)

Go for gcc, it should be good enough to compile a few small kernel-poking
tools.  The SparCompilers are very nice if you are really hammering the
CPU, but for most I/O bound servers this isn't an issue.

-James