[Sunhelp] SGML tools on Solaris7 or non-GNUified Solaris

Wes Hofmann whofmann at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 10:07:31 CST 1999

James, you sound like someone who might be able to answer this question:

I understand that the very-small-grain kernel locking implemented in Solaris
is what allows it to scale so well, but also slows it down on small
single-processor boxes.  I'd heard that Sun has or is planning to releasse
the Solaris sources.  If this has been done, where would I find them?  Also,
if this has been done, wouldn't it be possible to edit and recompile the
kernel in a manner that it implements little or no kernel locking to speed
it up on my little single-processor SPARCbook?  I don't now how they laid
out the source code, but in Linux, it is very simple to tell the kernel to
either use, or not use finer grain locking depending on if you're compiling
for SMP or not.  Thanks for any info!

Wes