[Sunhelp] SGML tools on Solaris7 or non-GNUified Solaris

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Tue Nov 23 00:15:28 CST 1999

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Bryan Fullerton wrote:

> Aha - I was wondering about cachefs earlier today (when I was commenting it
> out of inetd.conf on a new install ;).  I took a brief look at the man pages,
> and though they were helpful in explaining individual commands, they didn't
> actually tell me what exactly it is.  I imagine it's a caching filesystem,
> but what's the idea behind it?  How do I make it go, and what pros/cons are
> there with it?

In the "System Administration Guide, Volume I":

http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.47.8/SYSADV1/@Ab2TocView/40115?

Select "Managing File Systems" and then "Chapter 29".  There is a good
section on setup in there.

> I ask at least in part because I'm going to be setting up lots of NFS in the
> next little while, moving a lot of data onto a central network disk for access
> by a whack of client machines.

CacheFS is usually a universal win for read only or read mostly
filesystems.  It will nearly always decrease network load, but if your NFS
server is faster than local disk (not uncommon on fast lightly loaded
networks with striped disks) file accesses may slow down slightly.  Try it
and see.

I recommend using it on /opt or /usr/local and other "application" areas.
Don't use it on home directories or anywhere where writes are frequent.

-James