[Sunhelp] X Window System

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Nov 22 18:59:56 CST 1999

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Wes Hofmann wrote:

> I'm thinking about replacing my X server in Solaris 2.6 with a less bloated
> alternative.  Would it be better to install the one downloadable from
> www.x.org or install XFree86?  I honestly don't know the difference between
> the two.  Thanks.

Is this an x86 box?  If so, XFree86 is a good solution.  The Solaris SPARC
and x86 X servers come from entirely different code bases, and the x86 one
is considerably out of date with regards to modern PC video cards.

If not, what seems to be the problem?  Recent Solaris/SPARC X servers are
based on TOG X11R6 code and perform comparably or better.  Accelerated
framebuffers have much better support in Sun's X server, you won't find
the vanilla X11R6 server useful for much past a cg6.

-James