[Sunhelp] SunOS 4.1.3.U1 Solaris 1.1.1 ver B

Steffen Grunewald steffen at gfz-potsdam.de
Fri Nov 19 03:50:02 CST 1999

On Thu 1999-11-18 (14:55), Gilbert Groehn wrote:
> I am running Solaris 1.1.1 ver B on a Sparc 20
> and wonder what is going to happen at Y2K.

Bad things happen, you know...

> I do not want to change the OS as I am afraid of
> loosing some of the drivers, files, etc.

Would be nice if you could at least upgrade to 1.1.2,
look in the sunupgrade dir of the cd

> I do not want to take a chance on the system locking up
> or failing but I can tolerate some bad date problems.
>
> Could someone who is knowledgable on this issue
> please advice me on what to expect.

Go to sunsolve.sun.com and/or access1.sun.com and get
the Recommended Patches set. Apply them.
Caveat canem: in the sendmail patch for 4.1.3_U1 (1.1.1)
there's a bug that prevents normal users from sending mail
(will be dropped into the bit bucket w/o notice)
I found the 1.1.2 (4.1.4) patches to be more consistent.

> I am a unix novice so even the installation of patches
> could present a problem unless explicit instructions
> were available.

They are there - in the README file accompanying every
patch. You _must_ read them.

HTH,
 Steffen
--
Steffen Grunewald = steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de = fax +49-331-288-1266
+ steffen.grunewald(at)gmx.de, (without subject) 9311356(at)scall.de