[Sunhelp] Slow TFTP with NCD 19R xterminal?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Nov 14 23:55:06 CST 1999

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 11:32:19AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 07:12:38AM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > I thought TFTP was designed for non-reliable, low overhead data transfers?
> > Why is it acking packets on a reliable network, where speed is important?  I
> > thought TFTP didn't ack anything, although it looks like I'm mistaken.
> > Next comment/question:  What do the switch/NIC lights look like durring this
> > transfer(you should have plenty of time to look)?  Do they bink just every
> > 3-4 seconds, or constantly?
> > 	Greg
> Just every 3-4 seconds..
> Bill

I finally solved this problem :

turns out it was the switch i've got my network based on (an Accton
SwitchHub-8s, EH-2002;
http://www.accton.com/accton/products/switches/eh2002/limage.html).

Looks like it has some interoperability problem with the NCD 19R xterminal;
I replaced it with a NetGear EN104 4port 10baseT hub, and the NCD terminal
now properly tftpboots its OS file in less than five seconds.

Anybody wanna trade a Bay or Cisco or 3Com hub for a nice 8port ethernet
switch that only has problems with NCD x-terminals?

Bill

--
Bill Bradford   *   mrbill at mrbill.net    /   http://www.mrbill.net
                    mrbill at sunhelp.org   /   http://www.sunhelp.org