[Sunhelp] Using Exabyte Mammoth Tape Drive for Ultra machine

Stanley Seak bss at wkg2.umac.mo
Sun Nov 14 21:26:07 CST 1999

Dear all,

  I'm now planning to purchase Mammoth Tape Library for my system.
I have borrowed a Mammoth Tape drive for evaluation. From
the technical report from Exabyte, it was said that using
Ultra 2 + Mammoth Tape drive can reach about 2.6MB/sec averagely.
However my evaluation shows that it only 0.8xMB/sec. I'm using
the Solstice Backup 5.1 software. I'm using Solaris 2.6 OS. The
kernal of 2.6 shows that it should support Mammoth Tape Drive.
Why my performance is stil so slow? Any comments and suggestion?

Thanks

Stanley,
University of Macau