[Sunhelp] Urgent help needed!

Melinda Taylor melinda at phys.unsw.edu.au
Sun Nov 14 21:18:29 CST 1999

Actually after some experimentation on my other solaris boxes......I
I realised I could just copy over the su program (with the correct
ownership/permissions) onto one of the crossmounted directories and then
'su' giving the direct path the copied over su program.

I checked that this worked on the machines I am not having troubles with
ie typing '/data8/melinda/su' (where -r-sr-xr-x   1 root     sys
18360 Jan 16  1998 /data8/melinda/su) let me gain superuser access.

Doing this on the machine I am having problems with
still does not enable me to gain root access....
suggesting the problem is that the su password has been changed.

This conclusion correlates based on the fact that permission
on the /var/spool/mqueue have also magically been changed so
that no-one has write permission so no-one can send mail.....
and I can't su to change it!

So I guess I should change my question to 'how can I reset the su
password'?

Many thanks,

Melinda