[Sunhelp] gcc on Sun OS 5.7

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at cu-portland.edu
Tue Nov 9 16:04:48 CST 1999

John Barneson wrote:

> Just got my first Sun Box running (IPX, 64 MB RAM, 4 GB HD) and I want to
> get some newer TCP/IP services running, mainly Sendmail and bind...the box
> is up and running with a live ip address, etc. But I need to do some
> compiling.
>
> Since standard Solaris doesn't come with a c compiler(strange?!) I proceeded
> to put gcc, stdlibc, and gnu make on it.

I think (not sure) that Solaris at least comes with a version of make
(see the thread yesterday about compiling NAS, started by yours
truly).

> However, all my Sendmail 8.x builds fail because 'make' can't be found. I
> know the gnu make binary is 'gmake' which I'm sure has something to do with
> it. I use absolute paths when triggering the make (/usr/local/bin/gmake) and
> I'm off and running but it dies with a type 1 error, 'make' can't be found

If you type in 'make' at the command prompt, does it say that it
doesn't know where make is?  If so, then you need to add the path to
make to your PATH shell variable.   The sun make (which I think I'm
using) is someplace like /usr/ucb/bin/make.

> Am I missing the usual newbie obvious here? Is there a 'make' variable I can
> change to point to 'gmake'? Or more simply, is there a free Sun c compiler I
> can use instead of gcc?

No, sun doesn't give you a complier (GRRR), so gcc is the way to go.
	Greg