[Sunhelp] gcc on Sun OS 5.7

John Barneson jbarneson at mail.stcroixpress.com
Tue Nov 9 15:15:19 CST 1999

Just got my first Sun Box running (IPX, 64 MB RAM, 4 GB HD) and I want to
get some newer TCP/IP services running, mainly Sendmail and bind...the box
is up and running with a live ip address, etc. But I need to do some
compiling.

Since standard Solaris doesn't come with a c compiler(strange?!) I proceeded
to put gcc, stdlibc, and gnu make on it.

However, all my Sendmail 8.x builds fail because 'make' can't be found. I
know the gnu make binary is 'gmake' which I'm sure has something to do with
it. I use absolute paths when triggering the make (/usr/local/bin/gmake) and
I'm off and running but it dies with a type 1 error, 'make' can't be found

Am I missing the usual newbie obvious here? Is there a 'make' variable I can
change to point to 'gmake'? Or more simply, is there a free Sun c compiler I
can use instead of gcc?

I've searched the usual sources, mainly sunhelp and gnu, but feel free to
angrily point me to the proper documentation.

Thanks
John Barneson