[Sunhelp] SunHELP

McCrone Paul J GS-12 HQ AFWA/XOGM Paul.McCrone at afwa.af.mil
Thu Nov 4 08:20:11 CST 1999

Hello,

I'm not totally familiar with RAID0, but I do know that when Solaris makes
the new files system (using 'newfs'), many superblocks are created on the
disk for redundancy.  This ends up taking up some space as well.

There is a way to optimize this. According to my sys admin book:

"NOTE - The newfs command will 'reserve', by default, 10 percent of the disk
space for file system maintenance.  This can be adjusted by using either
newfs -m # option during creation of the file system or tunefs after after
the creation of the file system. "

See the pertitnent man pages to do this.  I normally don't play with this.

Regards,
Paul  J. McCrone, GS-12, Chief Forecaster
HQ Air Force Weather Agency (AFWA) Office Code: XOGM
Email: Paul.McCrone at afwa.af.mil
Phone: (402) 294-2821

Hello,

I have question regarding the Solaris DISK Configuration.I have 9GB
Hard Disk Drive ,but after creating FS on it,it gives only 8.3GB.Also
I have a diskpack of 54GB(9GB X 6),and after doing RAID0,and creating
new FS on it ,it gives only 44.7GB.A loss of 10GB.How to make optimum
use of my drive capacity.

Thanks in Advance
Navin.