[Sunhelp] format parameters for ST32550N and IBM DCHS-34550 needed

Bertrand Hutin hb at ardentsoftware.fr
Mon May 17 07:23:32 CDT 1999

Yu-I Tseng wrote:

> Greetings, all.
>
>     I am totally new to Sun SparcStations. Recently I purchased a SS20
> and a 911 case. Two Seagate ST-32550N and two IBM DCHS-34550 SCSI drives
> have been installed in the external case and connected to the
> workstation. Currently I am running Solaris 7. I want the OS have access
> to these storage devices.
>
>     I issued 'probe-scsi' in OpenBoot command line and a list of SCSI
> devices are detected properly. Later while the OS is loading, I noticed
> few lines of 'bad magic number' warnings. I guess this is ok since these
> drive are not from Sun. When I run 'format' command, only the drive
> inside SS20 is listed.
>
>    What are the exact steps to go through in order for Solaris to gain
> access to these devices? What entries do I need to enter into
> /etc/format.dat file? How do perform a low-level format and OS-level
> format on these drives? Any help is appreciated.
first you need Solaris to add the devices.
enter the low level command by STOP-A.
then probe-scsi to check that your disks are on line.
type go to allow Solaris to restart.
do touch /reconfigure and reboot, or do it manually:
dvrconfig
disks
devlinks.
Then format will display all disks
read the format man page and use format.
--
Bertrand Hutin, Responsable Informatique Interne / MIS
Ardent Software Inc - Object Division 7 rue du parc de Clagny, 78000