[Sunhelp] wierd problem after installing latest patch cluster

Gilles Melanson gilles at vianet.on.ca
Thu May 13 10:41:56 CDT 1999

> And we verified that the servers are in the /etc/inetd.conf
> file:
>
> pop     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /opt/local/imap/ipop2d   ipop2d
> pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /opt/local/imap/ipop3d   ipop3d
> imap    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /opt/local/imap/imapd    imapd
>
> We verified that the pop/imap servers are still located in
> the install directory and that they still run... you can execute
> them at the command line and get the expected results.
>
> The machine is not using TCP wrappers... so we know that hosts.deny
> is not the culprit.

You should put wrappers on, to log incoming connections (at the very least
- it's a rather basic logging mechanism, but it's a good first step)

> The only thing that is different between the time it worked and the
> time it doesn't work is the installation of the patch cluster.
>
> With all that, anyone have any ideas what else I could look at to getting
> this thing to work?  It's probably something various obvious which I'm
> missing.

It almost sounds like a configuration issue.. but I'm not terribly
familiar with the uwash pop daemons.

Honestly, I'd recommend setting up qpopper, if anything.  It's the only
pop3 daemon I've seen that has decent logging and that runs fine under
Solaris.

--
Gilles Melanson				UNIX System Administrator
gilles at vianet.on.ca			Laurentian University

Please be advised that as of May 21st, 1999, I will no longer be
employed by Vianet Internet Solutions as a full time sysadmin.

If you have a support related question, please email support at vianet.on.ca.
Please limit Vianet-related email to critical issues only.