[Sunhelp] solaris vs linux

ravi katti rkatti at cmie.com
Tue May 11 23:33:43 CDT 1999

Hi,

Our setup is a mix of sun and intel machines. File systems of solaris are
cross nfs mounted on the various sun machines and on one linux machine.
For eg. one ss10 which serves as home serve its /home mounted on other
SLC, ss20 etc and this linux machine.

Now my problem is if i am using my home directory files for some work on
linux machine the job is finished much quicker than on my slc the
environment being similar on both the machines. Both my linux as well as
slc have 10mbps network card and are used by single person and both of
them are accessing /home which is on ss10.

Also when the linux machine is on with file systems of solaris mounted on
it other users who have logged onto sun systems find that network/system
has slowed down. Now if i shutdowm ny linux the network/system is okay and
the sun users are happy.

Can someone help me resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Ravi Katti
Systems Administrator