[Sunhelp] ?: Questions on Solaris 7

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Wed Jun 23 19:35:23 CDT 1999

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Wonkyu Chang - Sun Korea SE wrote:

> I found it from presentation slide that the max PHYSICAL memory of solaris 7 is
> 64GB and the max ADDRESSABLE memory of solaris 7 is 16EB.
> Could you explain about it in more detail?
> Also, What is the means of 16EB?

64GB is the maximum RAM physically supported by current Sun hardware (in
the UE10k).  I expect this to improve substantially in the next
generation.

16EB is 16 Exabytes, or 2 ** 64 (the exa prefix is 10 ** 18).  With 64-bit
pointers in the kernel this is the maximum possible memory that can be
addressed.  Not much of a limit at this point.

-James